Based on 2016, Pantone has selected two colors for the Pantone color of the year 2021: PANTONE 17-5104 Ultimate Gray and PANTONE 13-0647 lighting. After the turmoil of 2020, the global color authority selected two contrasting colors that join together to support and complement each other. Ultimate Gray is pretty neutral and evokes a sense of reliability and resilience, while Illuminating is a happy yellow that is bright and sunny and gives an overall feeling of optimism. Taken together, the color pairing offers hope and stability.
“The Pantone Color of the Year reflects what is happening in our global culture and what people are looking for to answer that color,” said Laurie Pressman, vice president of the Pantone Color Institute. “As society continues to recognize color as a critical form of communication and a symbol of thoughts and ideas, many designers and brands are using the language of color to engage and connect.”
Take a look back at previous Pantone colors of the year here!
Does the color combination inspire you to bring something of this into your own life and home? If so, here are 12 products that nod the Pantone Color of the Year 2021 to start your 2021! You can find more options here in the Design Milk Shop!
1. Factory Ocher Yellow Station Clock from cloudnola
2. Compact bento box from Takenaka Bentobox
3. CLIP Wall Hook from Bendo
4. Square Wall Planter from NewMade LA
5. 90s baby candle from canceled plans
6. Ojai Hike Bath Rug from Quiet Town
7. Triple set bowls from BesoVida
8. Terra Time Gray Watch from Projects Watches
9. Large natural orbis concrete vessel from KONZUK
10. Portable LED candle light from Wick Graphite of graypants, inc.
11. Concrete grandfather clock from Ohio Workshop
12. Cosmos placemat in Asteroid Gray from Tortuga
Pantone on the use of colors:
Ultimate Gray and Illuminating, a combination of strength and optimism, need not be used in equal proportions. Both colors can have priority, whether for clothing, beauty, home textiles, product design or packaging.
As in previous years, Pantone has launched products with the color combination available here.
Let us know what you think about the 2021 colors in the comments below!